Frequently Asked Questions

1. If I call 911 can I request a particular ambulance service to come pick me up?

NO. Franklin County has a resolution in place that names a service to be the primary 911 response service. Whomever is named in the resolution is the service which will respond to all 911 calls, unless requesting other services for mutual aid.

2. If I'm in need of transport from our local hospital can I make a request for a particular ambulance service to transport me or my family members?

YES. You have a right to choose what service transport you to another hospital. We are dedicated to our community and the citizens and hope that you would choose A&E EMS for all your emergency and non-emergency transport needs.

3. Can I request an ambulance to transport me to a doctor's appointment?

YES. The only insurance that will pay for transport to doctor appointments is TennCare. In order for TennCare to agree and pay for transport, you must call your TennCare carrier and request an authorization number. We would be happy to transport you to the doctor but will require that authorization number first from TennCare.

4. What kind of insurance do you accept?

We are a contracted provider for all forms of TennCare (Americhoice, Amerigroup, Blue Care, United Health Care Community,etc), all Medicare and commercial insurance companies such as Cigna, BCBS, United Health Care PPO, etc.

5. What if a patient doesn't have any health insurance?

We automatically discount our ambulance bill to the lowest we can by law. Medicare sets the rates each year, which is subject to change, and no ambulance bill can be below that set limit. We work with our patients and are willing to set up payment options.

6. Do you do your own billing?

We have contracted our billing needs to a well respected company out of Kentucky, MARS Billing. They have been a very reliable and efficient company. If you have any questions about your bill, please feel free to contact them directly at 1-207-744-3647.

7. What kind of services do you provide?

We provide a variety of services including doctor appointment transports, dialysis, hospital discharges, transports to and from Wound Care, non-emergent and emergent hospital transfers, mutual aid 911 and critical care transport. One of the things we provide that very few services do in our area is Ventilator and Bi-PAP transport.

8. How do I get the training to be able to work on an ambulance?

There are several options when it comes to training for an EMS job. We highly recommend attending Motlow State Community College AEMT program. You can also get your Paramedic training at Motlow as well. The AEMT program is two semesters and the Paramedic program is a full year. Chief Smith is one of the instructors that teaches with Motlow.

9. What credentials must you have to work on an ambulance?

The TN Department of EMS has issued a change in EMT credentialing. Starting December 2016, all EMT-IVs must have transitioned into the AEMT (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician) level in order to be able to work on an ambulance. All EMT-IVs and EMT basics who are hired prior to this date will be grandfathered in and be permitted to work. All advanced life support trucks maintain a minimum of one Paramedic and one AEMT. A&E EMS is fortunate to employ highly trained emergency medical professionals. Currently on staff A&E has AEMTs, Paramedics, Critical Care Paramedics, Registered Nurses and a Physician. Any of these personnel can and have worked on the ambulance as part of the crew.

10. Can I call A&E EMS directly to take me to the hospital instead of calling 911?

YES. However, depending on the nature of the illness or injury, our crews may advise you to call 911 due to the severity. Since we are not the current 911 provider at this time, we are not permitted to respond emergency traffic to your location. That being said, if we arrive on scene and discern that it is a true emergency, we will transport you emergency traffic to the hospital.

11. If I call you for transport, can I request we by pass the local hospital and go to Nashville or Chattanooga since that is where my doctor is at?

NO. We do not transport patients directly from the scene to Nashville or Chattanooga due to the distance. Your health insurance will not pay for this kind of a transport since you will be bypassing several different hospitals. It is recommended that you be seen by your local emergency room first and then you can request to be transferred. Health insurance has become very complicated and they look for every reason not to pay for your transport.

12. Do you transport patients from the local nursing homes?

YES. We have several service agreements for ambulance transport with our local nursing homes, including, The Willows of Winchester, Golding Living (Winchester), Manchester Health Care Center, and NHC of Tullahoma. All of these facilities have amazing staff and we are grateful for the opportunity to serve them and their residents. If you have a family in one of these facilities, we would be honored to transport them wherever they need to go.

A & E Emergency Services LLC